|What are the Steps and timeframe?
- Enquirers attend sessions to find out about some of the basics of Catholic living.
- September – February
- Those who have decided to continue with the process with a possibility of receiving the Sacraments are formally welcomed with the Rite of Acceptance into the Order of Catechumens (for non-baptised) and the Rite of Welcome (for baptised).
- The majority of the catechesis (instruction) is given in this phase of the process.
Period of Purification and Enlightenment
- Lent (40 days)
- Those wishing and ready to receive the Sacraments at Easter are formally presented at the Rite of Election in St Mary’s Cathedral.
- These Elect now enter into a period of intense spiritual preparation as their celebration of the Sacraments approaches (which for most occurs at the Easter Vigil).
Period of Post-Baptismal Catechesis or Mystagogy
- This period lasts for the seven weeks of Eastertide and concludes at Pentecost.
- Post-baptismal catechesis and the growth in faith and understanding however remains a life long process for all Catholics.
For more details, please contact: Parish Office (02) 9399 6775
Link to Sydney Catechumenate Office: http://www.rcia.org.au