- What does it mean to be in the wilderness? What are the positive and negative connotations?
Does this relate to us today?
- How is it that the Israelites show such lack of faith given that they are the recipients of
God’s extraordinary wonders?
- After the Israelites begin to complain in the wilderness, how does God's providence
show itself? What is His purpose for doing this?
- What is "Manna" and what are its physical attributes? How do we account for the astonishing
ability of "Manna" to satisfy everyone?
- What New Testament food does the "Manna" foreshadow and how is its association with Christian
tradition in the Eucharist clarified?
- What are the names given to the place of grumbling and rebellion against God and how did God
act in response to the Israelites on this occasion?
- Whom does Moses appoint to lead the Israelites in combat against the Amalekites and why was
the lifting and lowering of Moses' arm crucial to winning the battle?
- Who came to visit Moses in the wilderness and what good advice was Moses offered? Is this in
any way relevant for the church today?
- How does Israel's experience in the desert reflect the continuing nourishment offered to us, when
we open our hearts to God?