- Jesus and John the Baptist used the same words when starting to preach – what were the words?
- Who were the different groups of people and why was there unrest in Palestine in the 1st Cent?
Was Jesus a unique phenomenon or were there a number of prophets and would-be kings and messiahs?
- How was Israel affected by the controlling Romans and the various groups on their borders?
- What was the "great catastrophe" in Jewish history in 587 BC and how did it shape the faith of the Israelites?
- What are "Procurators" and "Tetrachs"? What is the history of Herod the Great, Herod Antipas,
Archaleus and Philip – what lands did they rule?
- What was Galilee like compared to Judea and Samaria? Why were the Samarians thought of as impure?
- What are the differences between the Pharisees, Sadducees, Essenes and Zealots? How many of
each were there at the time?
- Who was John the Baptist? Did his following last after his and Jesus' death?
- The significance of Jesus' Baptism and its parallel with the story of Isaac & Abraham.
Why is this anointing important to understand who Jesus is?