- In Jewish history the people were often reminded that they had exchanged the image of
for that of a grass eating ox! What does this mean?
- What is the evidence for saying the Golden Calf story is complex and somewhat contradictory?
- Some commentators say that the story reflects conflict between North and South Kingdoms.
- What evidence is there for this?
- The story of Israel’s redemption is equally the story of Israel’s disobedience. How is this
in the Golden Calf story?
- How do we fashion God into our own image? What are the differences between faith and religion?
- What is ‘Iconoclasm’ and when did the two great Iconoclastic movements in church history take place?
- How is the intimacy between God and Moses shown at Mt. Sinai? Who is the mediator between God
and us in the church today?
- Holy days are discussed in the Ritual Decalogue (feast of unleavened bread, pentecost, festival of
weeks, festival of booths) – from what agricultural feast days do they originate? Which holy day
recalled the giving of the law on Mt Sinai?
- In what ways does the description of the building of the temple reflect the issues of the time of exile?
- How does St Paul change this word “temple” in his theology?
- How does Richard Dawkins describe the God of the Old Testament in The God Delusion? How do we understand the seemingly unpleasant characteristics of God in Exodus?
- Israel ’s image of God gradually changed from being more tribal and primitive into one where God
became a friend. Has our development followed a similar path?
- What fundamental ideas about human freedom and God’s indwelling emerge from the book of Exodus?